Short Bytes: If you have a Google Chromecast device, you can set it up using a plethora of devices running Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and MacOS. All you need is the Google Home app or Chrome browser to configure Chromecast to work on your home WiFi network.
After you’re done with the unboxing, you can use your Android, iOS, or PC to set up your Chromecast device.
In this post, I am using 2nd-gen Chromecast device, if you have a Chromecast Ultra, the process remains the same. This method is also helpful in case you hard reset your Chromecast and want to set it up again.
How To Set Up Chromecast Using Android?
Configuring a Chromecast device using Android requires Android 4.1 and above. Also, you’d have to download the Google Home app from Google Play to get things done.
- Connect the Chromecast to a power source and your TVs HDMI port. It’ll take about a minute to turn on. Make sure you have selected the correct HDMI input source.
- Now, open the Google Home app on your Android phone or tablet.
- Google Home will automatically display a message about the Chromecast. If it doesn’t, navigate to the Devices section by tapping the icon (with a screen and remote) in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap SET UP to start the process.
- Tap Continue on the next screen that shows details about your device.
- Wait till your device connects to Chromecast’s temporary hotspot.
- Tap Yes if the code displayed on your phone screen is also present on your TV screen.
- On the next screen, you can change the name of your Chromecast device.
Untick the first checkbox if you don’t want to send crash reports to Google. Also, you can disable (enabled by default) Guest Mode; it allows people who are not connected to your WiFi network to cast content using a four digit pin.
- Tap Continue to proceed further with Chromecast setup process.
- Now, connect your Chromecast to your WiFi network using the app. Chromecast can automatically fetch the WiFi password from your phone. To do so, tap OK. Tap No Thanks to type the password manually.
- Tap Continue after you have entered the password, it’ll take some time to configure the wireless connection.
- Tap Continue to proceed further.
- The next option is to link your Chromecast device to your Google account, tap Sign in and follow the steps. It’s optional, but linked account will allow you to have personalized settings for the device.
- After linking your account, the app asks you to take a tutorial. Tap Skip to complete the Chromecast setup process.
This way you can configure your Chromecast device and use it to cast content from any Android, iOS or PC (using Google Chrome) connected to the same network as your Chromecast.
How to set up Chromecast using iPhone And iPad?
The process to set up your Chromecast using an iOS device is a little bit different. You have to download the Google Home iOS app from the Store and follow the steps:
- Go to the Devices section in the Google Home app for iOS.
- Tap Add New Device.
- Now, unlike Android, you have to minimize the Google Home app manually to connect to Chromecast’s hotspot by visiting the WiFi section in the iOS Settings. The SSID of the temporary WiFi hotspot will look something like Chromecast8136.b.
- Now, come back to the Google Home app to setup your device.
- You’ll see that your Chromecast device is detected now. Tap Continue.
- Verify the code, similar to the Android method, by tapping I SEE IT.
- Select your country. In most cases, it’ll automatically show the country where you live. Tap Continue.
- On the next screen, you can change the name of your device and turn off the guest mode.
- Next, connect your Chromecast to your home’s WiFi network. Tap Select WiFi network to choose the desired name from the list.
Google Home app for iOS doesn’t have the option to fetch your wireless password automatically. Tap Continue after entering the password manually. It’ll take a while to configure the network.
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Tap Continue on the next screen.
- Now, you can tap Learn To Cast option to view a tutorial. Tap Skip to complete the setup.
How to set up Chromecast using PC/Laptop?
Using your computer running Windows, MacOS, or Linux to configure Chromecast is also an easy process. That’s because Google Chrome acts as the standard medium on all platforms. Make sure you have the latest Chrome version before you begin the setup.
- Open Google Chrome and navigate to chromecast.com/setup.
- Click Set up your Chromecast using this computer.
- It’ll take a few seconds to detect your Chromecast.
- Click SET ME UP to begin the process.
- Next, click Yes to confirm the code you see on your computer and the TV screen.
- Type the new name of your Chromecast and click Looks Good to proceed.
- Choose your WiFi network and enter the password. Click Connect to configure the wireless network for your Chromecast.
Now, the Chromecast setup process is complete. You can click the gear icon in the top-right corner of the thumbnail (in Chrome) to access Settings for the device. Use the Cast button to throw content from Google Chrome to your TV.
Did you find this helpful? Drop your thoughts and feedback.